“Do you have any fantastic community tips for evening meal?” I experienced asked the entrance desk human being at my hotel. He pointed in the direction of the close by canal and an Italian cafe. I need to point out right here that this discussion did not just take spot in Venice. I was in Amsterdam. I pressed the clerk more. “I am seeking for authentic Dutch food items,” I stated. “Why?” he replied drily. “Do you like potatoes?” Even the Dutch are not effusive about Dutch delicacies.
I have been shelling out a thirty day period in the Netherlands, in a college city that is as lively and cosmopolitan as any hungry individual could want. There are poke bowl locations and pizza joints there are French bakeries and American burger places. The Dutch may perhaps be modest about their possess foodstuff, but they are not tepid eaters. Potentially then it can be not surprising that their finest epicurean enthusiasm is for the foodstuff of their previous colonies, and the Surinamese and Indonesian dishes that are frequent on supper tables here.
Want a lot more wonderful food items crafting and recipes? Subscribe to Salon Food’s e-newsletter.
Wandering my area grocery store aisle, it did not acquire prolonged to get stock of the plentiful international substances and notice that when in the Netherlands, it can be clever to do as the Dutch… and try to eat Indonesian.
Mie goreng is the fried noodle dish for men and women who could live on fried noodles — simple, fast, limitlessly customizable and just genuinely salty-spicy-sticky-sweet superior. After a recent lengthy, exhausting day, I produced this with ramen and pre-shredded cabbage and went from putting my crucial in the door to sitting down down to dinner in 15 minutes. Eggs are regular in it, and I am just lazy more than enough to do them carbonara-design right here alternatively than cooking them separately. And when the dish generally stars rooster, I couldn’t resist introducing a slight nod to my non permanent residence and topping mine with some local smoked salmon. It really is a road meals classic that is right at house everywhere — no matter whether that is your very own dwelling, or your house absent from house.
* * *
Spicy Weeknight Mie Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles)
- 1 deal of ramen noodles or 3 ounces of egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of kecap manis (see cook’s notes)
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 3 sliced scallions
- 1/2 of a red onion, sliced
- 1 pink chile of your desired warmth (I like Thai peppers in this article)
- 1/3 cup of shredded red or white cabbage
- 1/2 crimson or eco-friendly pepper, chopped and seeded
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 4 – 6 ounces of smoked salmon, shredded rotisserie hen, sliced ham, or cubed tofu
- Boil a big pot of h2o and prepare dinner the noodles to bundle instructions, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Even though the noodles are cooking, make the sauce. In a tiny bowl, stir together the soy sauce, kecap manis and ketchup.
- Heat the oil in a skillet above medium warmth.
- Add the garlic, scallions and onions and sauté, stirring carefully until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, peppers and any other vegetables you happen to be making use of and carry on to cook down.
- Add the noodles and stir every thing jointly to perfectly coated.
- Stir in the eggs to let them promptly cook.
- Increase the sauce and stir well, permitting everything get browned and flavorful for a different moment. Eliminate from warmth.
- Stir in your protein, or serve it together with the noodles. Eat immediately. Cold leftovers are great for lunch.
Accurate Indonesian noodles use a darkish, savory sweet soy sauce termed kecap manis. If you can’t get your palms on it, substitute 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce, or 1 tablespoon just about every of soy sauce and brown sugar.
You can improvise with any vegetables you like and have on hand. Shredded carrots, snow peas, celery or bok choy would be delightful.
Go through additional
of our ideal funds-helpful noodle dishes
Salon Foods writes about stuff we think you’ll like. When our editorial group independently chosen these items, Salon has affiliate partnerships, so creating a order as a result of our backlinks might earn us a commission.