A beloved of our founder, Ann Ogden Gaffney, in her text: “I figured out to love latkes as a specific Hannukah treat. When I 1st arrived to live in New York City, as a vegetarian manner designer performing in the garment middle, I typically applied to take in lunch at one particular of the aged-design and style Kosher dairy places to eat that have been as soon as popular in the location. Of my most loved things to take in, latkes with bitter product and applesauce dominated. How could I resist a combo that was at the identical time strange to me yet fully homey? I hope you are going to come to feel the exact way about the healthier turmeric update we have designed to this scrumptious vacation favourite.”
20 min prep
- 1 cup shredded, peeled russet potatoes, h2o squeezed out
- 1 cup shredded, peeled carrots
- ¼ cup grated onion, water squeezed out
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, pith eliminated and minced
- ½ cup full wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 large eggs, evenly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup applesauce or consider our recipe for Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- If creating home made, put together the applesauce as outlined below. In a medium bowl blend the potatoes, carrots, onion, jalapeño, flour, cumin, salt, turmeric, and eggs. Mix perfectly.
- Heat the oil in wide skillet more than medium heat. As soon as the oil is hot, pour a heaping tablespoon of the batter into the skillet. Flatten with the back of the spoon for a 3-inch latke. Prepare dinner as numerous latkes in the pan as you can devoid of more than crowding.
- Cook dinner until finally golden and crispy on the bottom, about 3-5 minutes, then flip and prepare dinner for another 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve latkes warm with applesauce and Greek yogurt.
If not serving right away, maintain the cooked latkes heat and crispy in a preheated 200-degree oven. They can also be reheated in an oven at a afterwards day.
Nutrition Specifics (for every serving):
Energy: 221 Unwanted fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Polyunsaturated Fats: 6g Monounsaturated Excess fat: 2g Carbs: 30g Sugar: 8g Fiber: 4g Protein: 6g Sodium: 442mg
Registered Dietician Approved
All our recipes are developed by chefs and reviewed by our Registered Dietitian Kate Ueland, MS, RD, CSO, a board-licensed specialist in oncology nourishment, to make certain that every single is backed with scientific evidence and follows the rules set by the Oncology Diet for Scientific Observe, 2nd Ed., printed by the Oncology Diet Dietetic Apply Group, a expert fascination group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
This recipe was at first revealed on Prepare dinner for Your Lifestyle. It is made use of by permission.